a while back i wrote about the chicken salad i love.
but that was pre-paleo days.
these days i eat....MAYO.
i know it still blows my mind. you should see my dads face when i tell him that. we used to talk about our disgust for such things. but now, i feel as if i have betrayed him. i even bought a jar when i was in a pinch and didn't have time to make it. which is just gross.
anyway. i always have a hard time meal planning for lunch. nothing ever sounds good once you are at work and you only have what you packed. that burrito or sub just sounds SO much better.
unless. you make the bomb-ass chicken salad that i have mastered. and since i just made it and you guys asked for it on instagram...and i had nothing exciting to tell you. you get this gem.
granted, every time is a little different. but it has the same base.
Paleo Chicken Salad
4 chicken breasts
chicken seasoning [optional/varies]
1/2 cup water
1 lb red SEEDLESS grapes
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 handfuls of pecans
homemade mayo [i use well fed's recipe. subbing lime juice for lemon]
1. In crockpot, place chicken breasts, juice the limes, seasoning if preferred, and 1/2 cup water. Set on low for 4 hours. But watch them. They can get dry if they cook for too long. But don't fret if they do, the mayo will juicen them up! [you can boil the chicken if you want too. Add lime. It will be worth it]
2. While your chicken is cooking, make your mayo so it has time to chill and 'set up' [gross]
3. Shred chicken once cooled.
4. Chop up grapes, cilantro, pecans and add to chicken.
5. Squeeze 1/2 lime into bowl.
6. Add in mayo. As mentioned before, I don't like my chicken swimming in mayo. Some people do. I don't. So I add in like 4-5 dollops. It ends up being about half of what the recipe makes.
7. Add salt to taste.
8. Let chill for a couple hours before you eat. Put in a coconut wrap, over salad, or just on a fork and in your mouth.
Jalapeños [one or two seeded diced]
Curry Powder [this one is a favorite!!]
Dill [no cilantro if you choose this...yucky]
Labels: bomb-ass, chicken, paleo, tastytuesday